Dreams Huatulco on the Oaxacan Coast is a family-friendly, all-inclusive in a relatively remote part of Mexico. It’s a 5-hour twisty-turny mountain drive away from the city of Oaxaca, and is pretty far from any other large city (the villages of Puerto Escondido and Puerto Angel—popular with surfers, hippies, and American backpackers are about an hour’s drive North). While it’s remote, it’s also upscale, beautifully situated in a bay of the Pacific and is becoming more and more developed. It’s popular with Mexican families, Canadians and other international travelers. And, from LAX, it’s only a 4-hour direct flight on AeroMexico, once a week on Fridays.
The resort’s web site claims the they have 6 pools, but counting the special water therapy pools in the spa and the very, very small kiddie pool in the kids club, we counted 8. Instead of describing each one, we thought a top 10 list was in order. Hopefully the first of many:
10 Best Things About the Hotel Pools at Dreams, Huatulco
10. There are 3 beautiful infinity pools at the beach end of the resort, right along the beach. You can go back and forth from pool to sand all day long.
9. At lots of resorts, the adults-only pool is tucked away, tiny, and nowhere near as nice as the main pool. At Dreams Huatulco, one of the 3 prime infinity pools is for adults only:
8. There’s also a quiet, tucked away adults-only pool for those really trying to escape the kids:
7. Besides the main pool featuring drink service, activities like daily water aerobics and volleyball, there’s also an out-of-the-way kiddie pool, for little ones (and their minders) who don’t like crowds:
6. The out of the way kiddie pool has circular tiled platforms along the center that kids seem to love jumping off of, playing on and posing next to:
5. There’s a giant chess board, and a giant tic tac toe game, next to some ping pong tables (and another bonus pool, shaped like a giant exclamation point):
4. At the infinity pools, there are chaise lounges around the deck, under palapas and also IN THE ACTUAL POOL:
3. You can hang off the edge of the infinity pool and watch your kids playing in the ocean from true comfort. (The tide can be rough, so the resort loans life jackets for added peace of mind). View from the pool (not pictured: poolside cocktail):
2. If you book a suite, you can have a private plunge pool / hot tub on your balcony:
1. Location, location, location! The resort is located on one of 9 bays in the Huatulco area, all boasting warm water, golden sand beaches and loads of beauty, privacy and Mexican sunshine.
Click for more hotel pools in Mexico.