So, you’ve decided to brave the political uncertainty, instability, and threat of Zika to see the games in Rio? Here are 5 of the hotel pools you might want to swing by between events:
1. Hotel Fasano is in the Zona Sul at the apex of two fabulous beaches (Ipanema and Arpoadqr). The rooftop infinity pool sports stunning views of the sea and the surrounding area. It’s an ideal spot to both sea and be scene, or see and be seen, depending on your pleasure!
2. The Art-Deco Belmont Copacabana Palace drips of 1920s Hollywood glamour. The hotel claims Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, and even The Rolling Stones stayed here and looking at the photos, we believe it. The property is something of a landmark and a definite icon on Copacabana beach. If you’re looking to hob nob with young celebs in town for the games, this is the place to look.
3. The Pestana Rio Atlântica is a high-rise hotel minutes from Copacabana Beach. With a high rooftop pool and free weekend pool parties, we’re predicting this is going to be quite the busy spot during the games. Expect a younger, more party-hungry crowd up here.
4. The Grand Hyatt is near the beach in Barra da Tijuca, a little further from the bustle of the Copa area. It’s still near the water, but in somewhat quieter (and upscale) area. There’s a spacious pool deck, likely to be filled with international clientele, families, and plenty of sports fans.
5. The Rio Hilton Barra is also in Barra da Tijuca and is another great upscale option. The pool is long and narrow, with dramatic columns framing the views of Rio. Day or night, it’s going to be bustling.